BEACON TRANSCRIPT – Artificial sweetener can be deadly for dogs if ingested. Several sweets and gums we eat contain artificial sweeteners that can have dangerous effects on dog’s bodies when ingested. While they are not harmful when it comes to human consumption, some sweeteners found in certain candies and chewing gums can be lethal to dogs.
Several animal groups are warning pet owners about the dangerous reactions dogs can have when eating an artificial sweetener called Xylitol, after several reports of animals being poisoned when accidentally ingesting the chemical.
Xylitol, a sugar substitute used in various candies and gums, is made from corn cobs, birch trees and fruits that are chemically considered sugars. It is not dangerous to people and it can be purchased from local food shops and chemists to be used as a sweetener. It actually has positive effects on teeth, as it has been shown that it reduces tooth cavities and it is found in chewing gum and other sweets made for human consumption.
However, the chemical can be lethal to dogs. Several animal welfare groups are trying to raise awareness of the dangers Xylitol poses for pets and are calling for warning labels on products that contain the chemical. Recorded cases of poisonings show that dogs who accidentally ingested the substance suffered from seizures, low blood sugar as well as liver and kidney failure.
Several pet owners have lost their dogs because of this chemical. A woman in the U.S. warned about the dangerous effects of Xylitol after she lost her Labradoodle when it accidentally ingested about 20 pieces of chewing gum. Sam Caress and Jordan Pellett also lost their dog, Luna, because of Xylitol poisoning earlier this year. In both cases, the dogs were taken to the vet after they started to vomit and became lethargic but they could not be saved.
Dr. Ashley Gallagher of the Friendship Hospital for Animals in Washington D.C. warned pet owners to be careful and shelter their pets from sweets that might contain the chemical, as dogs tend to always look for treats and might ingest Xylitol by accident.
She has also advised pet owners to thoroughly check the labels of the products they buy in order to determine if they contain the chemical. People that do buy products that have Xylitol on the label should be careful to keep them out of their dog’s reach.
Pet owners Sam Caress and Jordan Pellet have stopped buying products that contain the drug altogether since the unfortunate loss of their dog Luna, back in April.
Image source: www.pixabay.com