BEACON TRANSCRIPT – St. Petersburg authorities confirmed that a 38-year-old Florida man died after a faulty electronic cigarette blew up inside his mouth. Police sources declared that the victim was found inside his house by a family member.
Florida Man Had Burns on 80 Percent of Body
On the 5th of May, the authorities were summoned to a St. Petersburg home. First responders identified an unresponsive 38-year-old male with thermal injuries.
The victim, Tallmadge D’Elia, was transported to the hospital in critical condition. He passed away later that day.
The post-mortem examination revealed that the Florida man had extensive burn injuries.
Almost 80 percent of Tallmadge’s body had thermal damaged, the most affected parts being his head, chest, and back. Authorities ruled the man’s death an accident.
Based on the police report corroborated by the autopsy, the 38-year-old Florida man died after his electronic cigarette exploded in his mouth.
State coroner found incandescent e-cigarette debris inside Talmadge’s skull.
Christopher D’Elia, Tallmadge’s father, declared that what happened to his son was tragic and utterly stupid.
The man told a local news outlet that he did everything he could to make his son quit electronic smoking cigarettes.
D’Elia Sr. asked his son, on more than one occasion, to smoke outside as he and his wife were not fond of the smell.
Unfortunately, according to a government report, e-cigarettes can become dangerous when the battery dies.
More than that, it would appear that due to the device’s shape, electronic cigarettes can turn into flaming rockets.
The U.S Fire Administration revealed that between 2009 and 2016, almost 200 electronic cigarette incidents were reported. However, only half of them result in injuries.
The governmental agency declared that Tallmadge’ death was a freak accident since it’s quite uncommon for an electronic cigarette to kill.
Image source: Pixabay