BEACON TRANSCRIPT – A mother from Texas warns parents to be careful with the latest toy craze that are fidget spinners, as they might be dangerous for children. Her daughter almost choked on one of the parts of the object, so she wants everybody to know that they should supervise their kids while playing with these toys.
Fidget spinner pieces represent choking hazards
Kelly Rose Joniec was driving one day after she had picked up her daughter from a swimming meet. Suddenly, she heard some noises in the back seat. When she looked in the rear mirror, she saw how her daughter had turned red and desperately tried to say something. Then, she realized she was choking.
The girl could utter sounds, but she could not talk. Also, she had started panicking, so her mother pulled over and tried to perform the Heimlich maneuver on her. Unfortunately, this attempt was not successful, so they rushed to the emergency room immediately.
Then, they were sent to Texas’ Children Hospital, where doctors performed an X-ray on the girl. This is how they discovered that a piece of the fidget spinner the size of a coin had got stuck in the girl’s esophagus. She had to undergo an endoscopic procedure to have the piece removed.
The girl is now out of harm’s way
When asked about what happened, she said she put the fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and swallowed that piece. Fortunately, the girl is now safe and suffered no complications. However, her mother insisted that she should warn other people of the danger of these toys.
Now that fidget spinners are popular all over the country, parents should be aware that they pose a choking hazard. They should be really careful when they allow their kids to play with them, especially if they are young.
The fidget spinner was initially designed to make children pay attention, concentrate, and start fretting. However, teachers declared that they no longer work, as the toy has become a distraction in classroom.
Image Source: Wikipedia