BEACON TRANSCRIPT – A high number of organ transplants were performed in the United States last year. U.S. achieved a record for the fourth year in a row regarding organ transplants. The United Network for Organ Sharing released data regarding the situation. 2016 recorded an 8.5% increase in transplants over 2015 and 19.8% over 2012. 33,606 transplants have been performed in 2016. About 82% of the organs transplanted came from deceased donors, while the other 18% came from living donors.
A number of medical professionals are responsible with analyzing the transplant beneficiaries and the possible donors and bringing them together. After thorough research, they can tell if the organs are compatible with the recipient or if certain organs are in the best state for the transplant.
Another main source of transplants comes from donors who died of drug overdose. This type of donors is not a popular one, but in some parts of the country donors deceased from overdose reached 25%. Although this is not the preferred source of transplants, there is a potential of an increasing number of donors. People are trying to make use of any source they can.
One of the most active members of the organ-donating community is the New England Organ Bank. They work with over 150 hospitals, lead many attempts in finding new donors and collaborate with national organizations such as Donate Life America.
The most transplanted organ in the U.S. is the kidney. A number of 19,057 kidneys have been transplanted only in 2016. The next in top is liver (7,841 transplants), heart (3,191 transplants) and lung (2,327 transplants). Also, 119,053 people are currently waiting for a transplant to be performed on them.
Jay Monahan, aged 28, received a kidney transplant in October. He was suffering from membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis (MPGN). Generally, the disease can be treated and it may go away by itself. In some cases, though, it can lead to kidney failure. This was the case for Monahan.
He got a first kidney transplant at 21, but it often happens for patients with MPGN to have even their transplanted organ fail. This happened after only two years from the first transplanted. After five years of dialysis, he received a second transplant in October. He is also using a drug called Soliris that blocks the action of the immune system on the kidney. Monahan’s health has been in good condition so far and the doctors are optimistic.
The collective efforts made to improve the organ transplant network helped many patients in their struggle with incurable diseases and saved thousands of lives.
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons