BEACON TRANSCRIPT- Where does the modern human come from? That is the questions that hits our minds sometimes. We are all wondering who our predecessors are.
After doing several genetic analyses the researchers found that not all Non-Africans come from the population that migrated from Africa, as it was taught to be until now.
For this research 3 teams of geneticists took DNA samples from many ancient civilizations around the world. The genomes of 787 people were sequenced to obtain scans detailed enough for every one of them. These genomes were taken from indigenous people around the earth (Mayans, Sherpas, Bedouins, Basque)
Many geneticists think that to understand the human history they need the DNA sample of indigenous cultures. That is until these geneticists took few genomes from people outside China and Europe, making this a unique study. It adds many more data to the studies made until now.
Although non-Africans are related to each other and came from Africa too, the old evidence did not show how they spread across the world. Another issue with this theory is that there are some signs that there were modern humans outside Africa more than 50,000 years ago.
Evidence shows that modern humans existed 120,000 years ago, long before Africans. For instance, in Israel another team of researchers found skeletons that dated from 120,000 years ago. Several tools were found in India that were 100,000 years old.
Three renowned geneticists started separate studies to demonstrate that these pieces of evidence were just a part of the puzzle. Eske Willerslev from the University of Denmark, Mait Metspalu from the Estonian Biocentre and David Reich from Harvard Medical School were the 3 researchers that completed the studies. After examining genomes from the different indigenous population, they all had the same conclusion.
“The vast majority of their ancestry — if not all of it — is coming from the same out-of-Africa wave as Europeans and Asians,” Willerslev said.
Another thing that Mait Metspalu discovered in Papua New Guinea is that 2 percent of each person’s DNA appeared to older than the other 98 % . This means that there is a part of the DNA from people that lived 140,000 years ago.
Despite this, all the findings demonstrate that modern humans existed and developed over 200,000 years ago.
Which ancient civilization do you think we came from?