The suspect is Maine Dean, ABC reports

A 19-year-old man from Maine has been identified as the suspect in the New Year’s Eve stabbing of three New York City police officers. Multiple law enforcement sources identified the suspect to ABC News as 19-year-old Trevor Pickford of Wells, Maine. Pickford took an Amtrak train to New York on Dec. 29, sources told ABC News. Law enforcement sources told ABC News that the attack is being investigated as a possible incident of terrorism due to online records and the method of attack. The FBI confirmed to News 9 that the agency is working with the NYPD to investigate the attack and that they will “take every avenue down.” Federal and local law enforcement officers arrived at the suspect’s home in Wells on Sunday night. Neighbors said the area is usually very quiet. Watch footage of the police action in the player below. The attack happened just after 10 p.m., eight blocks from Times Square, outside a high-security zone where entrants are screened for weapons. Both officers were hospitalized, one with a fractured skull and the other with serious injuries. They have been released from the hospital. The 19-year-old suspect is also expected to recover. The sound of the attack and gunfire briefly sent some in the crowd fleeing, but the incident did not affect the festivities in Times Square, which continued without a hitch. Watch raw footage of the scene after the attack in the player below. Mayor Eric Adams said at a news conference that one of the injured officers was receiving stitches at the hospital. “He was in good spirits,” Adams said. “He understood that his role saved the lives of New Yorkers today.” Michael Driscoll, assistant director in charge of the FBI’s New York field office, said he believed the attacker acted alone. At the scene, police found a diary in the suspect’s backpack, law enforcement sources told ABC News. Sources told ABC News that the final diary said the suspect would die in the attack and be buried according to Islamic tradition. Law enforcement sources told ABC News that the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force had previously questioned the suspect. Relatives said he was attracted to Islamic ideologies. The NYPD mounts a major security operation each year to keep New Year’s Eve crowds safe. Thousands of officers, including many new recruits to the force, have been deployed in the area. One of the injured officers only graduated from the police academy on Friday, the mayor said. Blocks where crowds gather to watch shows and midnight bowling are accessible only through checkpoints, where officers use metal-detecting wands to screen for weapons. Large bags and coolers are prohibited. Barricades have been erected to prevent vehicles from entering the safe area. The perimeter of protection can only stretch so far. The attack took place on 8th Avenue, which is often packed with thick crowds circling the frozen zone or trying to find one of the safer entrances. ABC News said the investigation is being conducted by the NYPD Counterterrorism Bureau along with the FBI. Information from The Associated Press and ABC News contributed to this report.

A 19-year-old man from Maine has been identified as the suspect in the New Year’s Eve stabbing of three New York City police officers.

Multiple law enforcement sources identified the suspect to ABC News as 19-year-old Trevor Pickford of Wells, Maine. Pickford took an Amtrak train to New York on Dec. 29, sources told ABC News.

Law enforcement sources told ABC News that the attack is being investigated as a possible incident of terrorism due to online records and the method of attack. The FBI confirmed to News 9 that the agency is working with the NYPD to investigate the attack and that they will “take every avenue down.”

Federal and local law enforcement officers arrived at the suspect’s home in Wells on Sunday night. Neighbors said the area is usually very quiet.

Watch footage of the police action in the player below.

The attack happened just after 10 p.m., eight blocks from Times Square, outside a high-security zone where entrants are screened for weapons.

Both officers were hospitalized, one with a fractured skull and the other with serious injuries. They have been released from the hospital.

The 19-year-old suspect is also expected to recover.

The onslaught and noise of the gunfire briefly sent some in the crowd fleeing, but the incident did not affect the celebrations in Times Square, which continued unabated.

Watch raw footage of the scene after the attack in the player below.

Mayor Eric Adams said at a news conference that one of the injured officers was receiving stitches at the hospital.

“He was in good spirits,” Adams said. “He understood that his role saved the lives of New Yorkers today.”

Michael Driscoll, assistant director in charge of the FBI’s New York field office, said they believe the attacker acted alone.

At the scene, police found a diary in the suspect’s backpack, law enforcement sources told ABC News. In the final diary entry, the suspect said he thought he would die in the attack and asked to be buried according to Islamic tradition, sources told ABC News.

Law enforcement sources told ABC News that the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force had previously questioned the suspect after relatives reported him as having an affinity for Islamic ideologies.

The NYPD mounts a major security operation each year to keep New Year’s Eve crowds safe. Thousands of officers, including many new recruits to the force, have been deployed in the area.

One of the injured officers only graduated from the police academy on Friday, the mayor said.

Blocks where crowds gather to watch shows and midnight bowling are accessible only through checkpoints, where officers use metal-detecting wands to screen for weapons. Large bags and coolers are prohibited. Barricades have been erected to prevent vehicles from entering the safe area.

The perimeter of protection can only stretch so far. The attack took place on 8th Avenue, which is often crowded with people trying to get around the frozen zone or find one of the safer entrances.

ABC News said the investigation is being conducted by the NYPD’s Counterterrorism Bureau, along with the FBI.

Information from The Associated Press and ABC News contributed to this report.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.