Why you shouldn’t wear hair ties on your wrist: apparently because you risk developing an infection. I know that it might seem silly to think that hair ties could actually harm you, I mean, they’re just hair ties, the worst thing that’s happened to me regarding a hair tie was getting it tangled in my hair in the morning and not being able to get it out when I was in a rush.
But apparently not even the good old hair ties are safe anymore, at least not if you chose to wear them around your wrist. And many people do, a wrist is a very convenient place to just put a few head ties that you’ve forgotten about and just found in your pockets. It’s also very true that they could always come in handy later when you might need to pull your hair up into a bun.
Oh well, those days of comfort, bliss and ignorance might be gone now. It seems that the useful spare hair tie that we always keep around our wrists could actually cause us an infection. Audree Kopp of Louisville, Kentucky brought some attention to this new danger when she found out that she had an infection caused by nothing more than the head ties she had been wearing around her wrists.
And she didn’t do anything out of the ordinary. She did what so many people do every day, wore a hair tie around her wrist for easy access in case she found that she needed it at some point. She was just moving house so everything was a bit chaotic and hectic at the time and she thought her long hair might at some point get in the way of trying to organize the move and pack everything up.
She fists saw a red lump on her wrist but brushed it off, assuming it was just a small injury or a rash that she could’ve picked up during the process of moving from one house to another. She didn’t pay any attention to it at first but the red lump started to grow more and more.
She went to the hospital to get it checked out and was admitted immediately. She was told that the lump was an infection and that she would need to be transferred to a different hospital in order to receive a surgical intervention. That sounded serious, of course, so she asked what the cause of the infection was and found out that it had been nothing more that the glittery hair tie she had been keeping on her wrist as a back-up the whole time.
It seems that a small cut on her wrist was enough to let bacteria from the glittery tie into her body and cause an infection.
Image source: https://pixabay.com/