BEACON TRANSCRIPT – Recently Xiaomi, a China-based phone maker, announced that it was successfully in developing a stable Windows 10 ROM in association with Microsoft. Xiaomi rolls out a Windows 10 Firmware update for Mi4 LTE. Moreover, flashing your Android phone to Windows is quite easy.
Although the Windows 10 custom ROM isn’t entirely new, Xiaomi decided there is still room for improvement. And so the Chinese phone maker struck a deal with Microsoft, in order to develop a more stable version of the Windows 10 update for the Mi4 handset.
After a couple of week of tinkering around with the phone’s functions, the two companies were successful in developing a bug-free version of the celebrated mobile version of Windows 10. The custom ROM was around for some time before Xiaomi decided that it is time for an intervention. Unfortunately, the first version of Windows 10 had a lot of glitches.
Flashed handsets users reported that after updating to Windows 10, they had several problems with the phone’s battery. Moreover, the screen would freeze from time to time and sometimes the phone wouldn’t charge when it was turned off.
But thanks to the partnership struck with Microsoft, the team of developers working for Xiaomi managed to fix all the major issues of the new Windows 10 ROM. Here’s the complete list of bugs fixed in the new Window 10 firmware update:
- Vibration button is now enabled (head on over to Settings, press the Extras button and choose Vibration settings);
- The freezing screen issue was patched;
- The phone can now photos at close range, meaning that the image stabilizer issue has been fixed;
- The alarm clock issue was fixed;
- Xiaomi fixed the battery drainage issue;
- Input method was fixed;
- The quick settings page was fixed;
- Outlook can now sync all your contacts and information.
If you haven’t already installed the Window 10 ROM on your Mi4 smartphone, here’s a quick tutorial on how to do it. Before starting the process, make sure to backup all your data in case something goes wrong during the flashing process.
Also, keep in mind that not all Mi4 handsets are capable of handling the new Windows 10 custom ROM. According to the Chinese phone maker, only the LTE version of the phone can run the Windows 10 update. This means that other Mi4 handsets, like the HSPA version of the phone, mainly sold in India, won’t support the new ROM. So double check your phone model before starting the process.
Xiaomi rolls out a Windows 10 firmware update for Mi4 LTE version, patching out many of the glitches found in the first version of the ROM.
Here’s a step-by-step tutorial on how to flash the custom ROM on your Mi4 LTE handset
- Head on over to Mi’s official web page and search for a file called MiFlash20150601. You should find a zip file with a size of 25.96 MB. Download the file on your computer.
- Decompress the contents of the zip archive using your favorite software.
- The package should contain one executable named MiFlash20150601.exe. Double-click on it in order to start the installation wizard.
- A new window will appear on your screen, telling you what the package contains.
- Chose an installation path and press Next.
- A windows warning will appear, prompting you that the files you are currently installing are not digitally signed. Click on Install this driver software anyway in order to continue with the installation. When it’s over, click on Finish.
That’s about it. But the process is far from over. The steps above shows you how to download the flash tool from Mi’s official web page. Bear with us for a while longer, because this is where the process becomes tricky.
After installing the flash tool, the next step is to download the Windows 10 custom ROM from Microsoft’s official page. To do this, you must register to the Microsoft Insider section.
Here’s how to do that:
- Bear in mind that in order to register to Microsoft Insider, you must have a Microsoft account. If you don’t, head of over to the registration section and create an account.
- After completing the first step, go to this address and select Getting Started. In the getting started section, select Sign into your Microsoft Account and then hit the Submit registration page
- After completing this step, head to the Mi section. You should see a download link for the package.
Now, after you’ve completed the steps above, pick up your phone and plug into your computer, using the USB cable.
Follow the steps below in order to complete the flashing process:
- You must enable the developer mode on you Mi4 LTE handset. To do that, head over to Settings, tap on About Phone. To enable the developer mode hit the MIUI Version button five times in a row.
- USB debugging must also be enabled. Head to Settings, tap on Other Setting and click on Developer Options. In this section, you should see a button entitled USB Debugging. Click on it in order to enable the USB debugging mode.
- Switch to your computer.
- The first step it to complete the installation of the custom ROM on your computer. To do that you must enter the command prompt window, by pressing start and typing in cmd. You can also bring up the command line by pressing the windows key and the R button on your keyboard. In the run section, type in cmd and press enter.
- In the command prompt window, you must call up the installation folder of the flashing tool. The default path is
C:\ Program Files (x86)\ Xiaomi\ MiPhone\Google\ Android.You can do that by adding cd in front of the path.
- Once you access the corresponding path, type in adb reboot edl and hit Enter. Now the ROM is installed on your computer.
Now it is time to set up the Window 10 ROM on your phone. Keep in mind that your Mi4 LTE handset must be connected to your computer during all the steps listed above.
Here’s what you have to do in order to complete the last steps of the procedure:
- Start the MiFlash tool. Once the program is running, you should see a path line in the upper section, and on your left, you should three buttons called Refresh, Flash, and Help.
- Navigate to the firmware’s download folder. The default folder should be located right on your desktop. It should look something like this C:\Users\litiening1996\Desktop\10586.1102.3063.Retail.
- Press the refresh button located in right corner of the application. A new section appears below, showing you the communication port, the progression bar and the status of the installation.
- Copy address from the firmware’s installation folder into the flash tool.
- Hit the Flash
- After a few seconds, the tool says that the operation was completed successfully.
- Unplug your phone from the computer and restart the device.
Your phone will now be running the new and improved version of the Windows 10 Firmware ROM.